Sorry I didn't post an update sooner after Katelyn's scope. She had her endoscopy on Thursday in Birmingham. The procedure went well. I think Katelyn was a little more miserable after the procedure than I expected her to be. We were in the car about 2 hours after the scope was over and she slept soundly until we got home. Then she slept most of the afternoon once we got home. The initial results of the scope showed minor damage to the small intestine, meaning she probably does have Celiac disease. However, we'll wait for a final diagnosis until the biopsies come back on Friday. On a positive note, we were able to (most likely) rule out EE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis). EE is basically a disorder where foods trigger allergic reactions in the esophagus and cause eosinophil to form in the esophagus which can cause choking, vomiting, insufficient weight gain, etc. We are so thankful Katelyn does not have this, because it is common in children with severe food allergies, but it is a much more serious condition than Celiac.
I'll post more after we get biopsy results. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers last week. It was a tough day and we are thankful for all of your concern!
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment